Many of us experienced challenging childhoods (downright crappy for some) that have had a lasting impact on us as adults. We often forget that it wasn’t all bad. When you take the time to stop and think about it, there are lots of happy moments woven into the fabric of our memories.
To help you remember the good times, here are 20 journal prompts to bring your best childhood memories to the surface.
Have fun recalling the joys of being a kid!
1. What was your favorite toy as a child? What feelings come to mind when you think of that toy?
2. Write about what you appreciate most about your childhood.
3. Write about your favorite memory during your school years.
4. What was your favorite topic in school? What made it exciting?
5. Rewrite your childhood to make it the way you would want it to be.
6. Write about your childhood love life.
7. Write about your favorite memory before the age of 10.
8. Write about your favorite memory from your teenage years.
9. Who was your best childhood friend? Write about some of the fun things you used to do together.
10. Describe the most unusual or memorable place you lived.
11. Did you have your own bedroom growing up, or did you share with a sibling? Describe your room.
12. Write about your best holiday memory. Where did you go? What did you do? Who were you with? What foods do you remember?
13. Did you grow up with family traditions? Describe one.
14. What were your favorite games or activities as a child?
15. What were your favorite childhood shows and characters?
16. What were your favorite books as a child?
17. What places do you remember fondly as a child?
18. What are your best sleepover memories?
19. Who was your favorite relative when you were growing up and why?
20. Write about the five happiest times in your childhood.